ec Newsletter #84
Greetings from sunny Gisborne and welcome to a new EC Newsletter.
Welcome to new subscribers on the mailing list - I hope you get some great ideas for your web projects from these newsletters - don't forget to forward them to your friends.
The past Newsletters can be found here; our contact details are below as is the unsubscribe information at the bottom.
Another look at Blogging…
Having a blog has many advantages for a business – you can nurture the relationship with people that follow your blog and a blog positions yourself as an expert in your chosen field.
Do a blog well – position yourself as the expert and you become the “go-to” person when your readers need some help with a project.
Blogs are also great for creating “search engine bait” that can increase traffic through to your main web site.
So the more you blog the more traffic will be driven t your blog and web site.
Everything that you say on your blog reflects on your professionalism – just as in a real life conversation.
You need to sound positive, engaging and authoritative to really make a good impression – anything less and people will build a negative idea of you and your brand.
Every so often you’ll feel drained of ideas for blog content – so here’s a great list of things that you could blog about: -
- Your views on current affairs – within your region or within your industry – answer this question - what is happening right now that is important to you…?
- Summarise the latest research within your own organisation or within your industry – what changes are on the horizon that your customers may need to know…?
- Share stories from your life – how did you get where you are today – who helped you or inspired you…?
- Rant – what upsets you – and why…!
- Review a great book / article / web site that you just read – why was it good…?
- Announce something new – every business changes – what’s new with your business this month…?
- Profile a client – who is your number one fan…? Who can you help…?
- Answer a frequently asked question about your products or services – what is the number one misunderstood element to making the best of your company products or services…?
- Recommend a web site that you follow regularly and let people know why you think it’s good
And lastly – and only every so often – review a product or service of your own…
There’s a couple of great ways to actually write an article on a topics from the above list – this is what I follow when I create a tabloid article – and the same format works very well for blog posts.
(Thanks to Gihan Perera (www.gihanperera.com) for sharing this with me in one of his excellent marketing courses…!)
All you need to do is answer the following questions under your chosen topic: -
What Problem do people have in their life to do with the chosen topic:-
What are the Negative Implications for them:-
What are the Positives if they didn’t have the problem:-
What is the Explanation of the process to solve it:-
What Product or Service do you offer to solve it for them:-
This works very well for me – but here’s some other ideas: -
Tell a story by: -
- Tell the story
- Note the key point(s)
- Give the benefit(s)
- Suggest the Action(s) for people to take
Or solve a problem: -
- Identify the Problem
- What causes the problem
- What’s the solution to the problem
- What action can people take
Or give people tips on a given subject: -
Which one you use is up to you – but do it…!
Plan and create new blog posts when you next feel in the creative mood – many of us are morning people while some are evening night owls – what ever type you are don’t just create a single Blog post when you are in the mood.
When you feel in the creative mood create as many blog posts as you can to create a library of articles to draw from.
In that way you will always have material to post – even if you may not feel creative on the day that you want to send out the newsletter.
If the idea of a blog is still daunting – consider a “team blog” to share the responsibilities of coming up with content. You can also invite others to write a “guest post” every so often for your blog.
When you create a new blog – it’s a great idea to actually post items for a month before letting the world know about your new blog.
In this was you will know within the 30 days if you are a blogger or not – and when you do release your blog it doesn’t contain just a couple of posts.
Let me know if you found this information helpful and see our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ECWebSites
This week something very geekie – it’s a free resource of ebooks on technical aspects to using computers
There are books on how to learn things and also about the hacker culture – enjoy.
Have you seen the E-C Help section lately...?
It is available at www.e-c.co.nz/help/
We've also archived these newsletters at www.e-c.co.nz/news/
That's it for now - please do let us know what you think of the newsletter - and of the ec toolset and thanks for your business...!
Cheers and thanks again